As I said in my previous post, we are eating ALL.THE.SOUP at the moment! Tonight’s dinner was… you guessed it – Soup!
How often do you go throuh your fridge and throw stuff out? I am making a concerted effort not to waste food and I have changed my shopping habits to try cut down on how much food we waste in our household. I found a red chilli (starting to get wrinkly), 2 cloves of garlic (about to start shooting) and a knob of fresh ginger (that was definitely starting to look a little sad) lurking in my fridge. Seeing as I am determined to use all the ingredients in my fridge before they evolve into new organisms, I decided to make a jazzed-up version of butternut soup! It turned out great, so I decided to share the recipe quickly – here’s how I made it:
Butternut, Sweet Potato, Ginger & Chilli Soup
1 large butternut
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium knob of fresh ginger (roughly a heaped tsp)
1 medium onion
600ml stock (chicken or vegetable)
1 small fresh chilli (deseeded)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
150g double cream plain yoghurt (1 small pot)
- Dice the onion
- Peel and dice the butternut and sweet potatoes
- Deseed the chilli and chop finely
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and ginger
- Sauté the onion in a glue of olive oil until translucent
- Add the ginger and garlic, muddle and simmer lightly for 2 minutes
- Add the butternut, sweet potato and chilli
- Add the stock
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the butternut and sweet potato is soft
- Blend (I use a stick blender)
- Add salt and pepper
- Add yoghurt and blend again
Serve immediately with crusty bread, ciabatta or toasted pita bread. It’s quite more-ish, so make sure you don’t fill up on bread!
- You don’the have to deseed the chilli, but if the soup is too spicy it will overpower the taste of the butternut and sweet potato!
- You could use cream or sour cream instead of yoghurt
sigh The photo I snapped on my phone quickly certainly doesn’t do this butternut soup justice. It was delicious!