We had what turned out to be our last scan this morning. My due date is Monday, 5 February. Did you know that only around 5% of babies are born on their due date? Despite the fact that her room is ready, baby K is not showing any signs of moving out of her womb anytime soon. I was really hoping to attempt a natural delivery, but after discussing my situation with our obstetrician, we’ve decided to go ahead with a c-section on Monday. This means our daughter will arrive on her due date (unless I go into labour before then).
I’ve really struggled with a persistent chronic cough – it literally takes my breath away. After consulting with a pulmonologist last week (a lung specialist), I was cleared to attempt a natural delivery as my lung capacity is still at 90%. I happened to bump into the pulmonologist on my way up to see our obstetrician this morning. He asked if I had any relief with the additional asthma pumps he had prescribed. I confirmed that nothing had changed. While we sat with the obstetrician, the pulmonologist also called to consult with him. They have agreed that I should get a chest and sinus x-ray once I’ve delivered baby K. We can discuss a course of treatment for my cough after delivery, as I am limited in what medicine I can take while pregnant.
The long and the short of it is that a c-section is the better alternative in light of the fact that:
- My blood pressure has been up and down over the past month, unfortunately, more on the high side of late (high blood pressure is a symptom of pre-eclampsia).
- There are signs of protein in my urine (another symptom of pre-eclampsia).
- The cough I have is so bad that I can’t keep food down. If I go into a coughing fit I bring up any food or liquid in my stomach. I’ve lost weight, don’t sleep well and feel exhausted. Not great for someone who is gearing up for labour.
- Baby K weighed an estimated 2,6kgs 2 weeks ago. According to her measurements in the scan this morning she has only gained roughly 100g in 2 weeks and now weighs an estimated 2,7kgs. This means that she is not growing optimally which is a concern.
Our first major decision as parents
Our obstetrician said we could wait a couple of days to see if labour occurred naturally. However, he did also advise that he didn’t feel comfortable leaving it too long since I’ve reached full term and am starting to show symptoms of pre-eclampsia. He discussed all scenarios with us but left the decision up to KB and I. We asked all the questions we could think of and decided to go ahead with a c-section on Monday. That gives us the weekend for baby K to decide whether or not she is ready to join us.
I can’t say there is much hope that I’ll go into labour before Monday seeing as she hasn’t engaged yet, nor are there any signs that my cervix is opening (sorry, TMI I know). The obstetrician was sensitive to the fact that I wanted to attempt natural delivery. He tried to reassure me that labour could still occur naturally over the weekend and often happens quickly.
I am not excited at the thought of surgery and really wanted to have a shot at a natural delivery. But if a c-section is in our daughter’s best interest then I am onboard. Things don’t always go according to plan and I’m sure this is just the start of wanting things to go one way as far as parenting goes and it going in the complete opposite direction.
We can’t wait to meet her!
I won’t lie, I’m bummed that my pregnancy will likely end in a c-section. Despite things not progressing the way we were hoping, we are super excited to meet our daughter! Although we were fortunate to fall pregnant on our first try with fertility treatment, it’s been a long journey to get here and we can’t wait to see what she looks like!
What colour will her hair be? I was hoping she’d have gorgeous red hair like her dad when he was younger. Will she even have hair? Who will she look like or will she be a good blend of both of us? Will she have her daddy’s blue eyes or my hazel eyes? Will she have his height and my eye lashes? Whoever she takes after, what we both agree on is that she’ll have beautiful feet – because we both have great looking feet! It’s so exciting and Monday can’t come soon enough!
P.S I forgot to mention in earlier posts that I’ve felt her have the hiccups on and off for the past month or so – it’s so funny (and cute!).