Can you believe we’ve passed the 4-month mark?! Overall I’m really enjoying my pregnancy, I don’t suffer from nausea, I don’t feel overly tired (not often anyway) and I’m still eating everything I am used to; no food aversions! But if you ask me how I’m feeling right now, I’d have to say pretty grotty.
Why do people insist on coming to the office if they are sick? I have picked up cooties at the office and now I’m working from home – this allows me to stay in bed and keep warm without spreading the germs further! Being pregnant means what I can take to treat my symptoms is limited. And to be perfectly honest, I’m too worried to take anything “in case.” I used Momentum Health’s ‘Hello Doctor’ platform to ask a doctor whether it’s OK to use Andolax throat spray and Strepsils lozenges in addition to Panado for the fever and body aches. She OK’d the lozenges but not the throat spray. The problem is I don’t really find that the Strepsils help at all, so I’m opting not to take them. She did suggest a soothing black rooibos tea with honey and lemon – that seems to help while I’m drinking it, but does nothing for the painful throat afterwards.
I’ve spoken about how well I’m feeling in previous posts (you can read all pregnancy-related posts here.) But I’ve haven’t mentioned any of the downside. So far, the only downside I’ve found to being pregnant are very small inconveniences. (I know there are many women who would give anything to be pregnant, and this is by no means a “whinge” about pregnancy. I want to document my pregnancy on my blog for me, and this is part of it.)
For the most part being pregnant has been a breeze for me – I count myself lucky! But here are my ‘complaints’ for lack of a better word:
- My hair is growing like weeds. This sounds like a plus but makes “maintenance” more tedious. KB’s legs are smoother than mine most of the time (he cycles) and I only imagine this will get more difficult the bigger my tummy gets. The pressure is real, yo!
- My skin is very dry. Though to be fair I’m not sure if this from the cold winter weather or from being pregnant?
- No soft cheese. Mmmm… I love cheese…
- No sushi. Mmmm… I love sushi…
- Limiting alcohol. KB and I aren’t big drinkers, particularly during the week and this isn’t a biggie. I can have the odd small glass of wine or so if I choose to, but over and above wine, I really enjoy trying different craft beers and small batch gin. I miss “craft beer Friday” a bit at the moment because it’s also something we enjoy doing as a couple (we buy 2 or 3 different craft beers on a Friday and share them).
- Not being able to take meds when you feel like death warmed up.
See, just small inconveniences more than anything! We’re very excited for Monday because we’ll hopefully find out if we’re having a boy or a girl! I wouldn’t be disappointed with either, so win-win for me! Friends/family seem to be pulling for a girl, but my feeling is that it’s a boy. Guess we’ll find out soon! (Just for the record, if it were solely up to me, I would have waited until D-day to find out!)
Header image source.