Soup is very high on my love-to-eat list. With the arrival of winter, I’m excited to get my soup on! This was my first attempt at a curry and red lentil soup, and it’s a keeper!
KB and I visited the Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay last year and we tried a Curry and Red Lentil soup. We both really enjoyed it and I wanted to try and make my own. Because I am a pescetarian I often eat brown lentils, but this was the first time that I cooked using red lentils. I’m not sure why I’ve never used them before? I find that they cook to mush a lot faster than the brown lentils and may use them to thicken stews and curries in future.
The weather predictions say we can expect more rain in the Western Cape, which is fantastic as we’re experiencing a terrible drought at the moment. It also means I get to make this soup again!
Curry, Red Lentil and Coconut Soup
750g Bag of carrots, peeled and diced (roughly 6-8 medium carrots)
1 x Medium onion
1 x Large clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
A knob of fresh ginger peeled and grated (roughly a generous tablespoon)
3/4 Cup red lentils
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp ground Coriander
1/4 Tsp crushed chili flakes
3 Tsp Malay curry powder
1 Litre stock (vegetable/chicken)
1 x 400ml Tin coconut cream
Fresh coriander to serve
- Peel and roughly dice the carrots.
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Peel and crush the garlic
- Peel and dice the onion
- Fry the onion over medium heat in canola oil in a medium pot.
- Add the cumin, ground coriander, chili flakes and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Muddle and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the carrots, stock and lentils. Cook until the carrots are soft.
- Turn the heat off and add the coconut cream. Blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- Serve with roughly chopped fresh coriander.
- You can use coconut milk instead, but I prefer using coconut cream.
- Best served with a crusty loaf of bread for dipping!
- Add more chili if you like spicy food or omit it completely if you don’t like spicy food or are feeding children too.
Get your soup on
If you’re a soup fanatic, check out some of my other soup recipes: