Condiments – our fridge is full of them. It’s so bad that most of the time there are more pickles and condiments in the fridge than there is actual food!
I’m all about the food at the moment and when I saw this lentil and beetroot burger on chef Alex Poltera’s Instagram feed yesterday I was inspired to make it for supper last night. I wanted to serve it with onion marmalade, but it’s mid-January and I still have a lot of month left at the end of my money, so I decided to make my own instead of buying.
I figured how hard can it be to make? Turns out, it’s pretty easy! I read a couple of recipes, but they all lacked something another recipe had, so I created my own recipe as I went along – It’s so easy, you’ll love it! And I must add that you’ll probably never want to eat another burger without it… True story!
Red Onion & Thyme Marmalade
2 Large red onions
1 Tbsp salted butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/3 Cup red wine vinegar
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion in half and into thin slices.
- Fry the onion in the butter, coconut oil and half the sugar, over medium heat, until onions go translucent (about 10 mins).
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for a further 15 – 20 minutes to reduce liquid.
- Stir occasionally.
- Once the liquid has reduced and reached a syrup-y consistency, season with salt and pepper.
- Adjust taste with more sugar/red wine vinegar if necessary.
- Remove from heat once you are happy with the consistency (how wet/dry you want it).
– Serve hot or cold on burgers, paired with a cold craft beer
– Enjoy with a cheese platter, a glass of wine and great company
Don’t worry about how long it will keep in the fridge, there won’t be any left (but it should keep for around 2 – 3 weeks).